Monday, October 18, 2010

What an awakening!




WOW a lot has happened!

So, i auditioned for winter quarter on Saturday morning. I was auditioning for Spring's Awakening (the drama) and Midsummer Night's Dream. I did a monologue from The Misunderstanding by Albert Camus. Which is apparently pronounced Alber Camu - and i was like 'yeah its a monologue by ALBERT CAYMUS. The director corrected me at the end of my monologue. So embarrassing. But heres the results!



Wooo! I was thrilled. Speechless. And terrified. I wanted to be in Spring Awakening so bad, and I got called back for one thing. I was going to have to kill it. I biked to the Drake and picked up my sides which were conveniently taped to the door outside for easy pickup.

The first callbacks were for midsummer. I read for alot of things, but mostly puck. The concept for the show is in collaboration with The Royal Shakespeare Company. The graduates are doing a production of Othello with them. A handful of schoolteachers went to study with the company, and the purpose of Midsummer was to tour to those gradeschools and spread the content with younger children. That was from 3 - 6.

At 7:30 was Spring's Awakening callbacks. I was dying. I had sides for the 'beating' scene with Melchoir and a scene with Thea and Martha. These callbacks were different then I've ever done, they terrified me. The director Jimmy paired us off with scene partners. We had one shot. he wouldnt call you back in, even if he liked you. So he never called back in the people he was going to cast to see how they worked together. No one had any idea how it was going to turn out. And the scenes were LONG, so callbacks went forever. I was so scared. I wanted it so bad.

So, the moment you've all been waiting for. Heres how it turned out.


I don't know if you can see my name that well but I'M WENDLA! What a dream! This is the biggest role I've ever gotten. I'm thrilled! Such a beautiful, dramatic role. I have yet to read the script, I'm picking it up tomorrow. But my goodness, a lead. Already. Winter quarter, freshman year. Wendla. Once I take this all in I'll be able to write more, but I can't even process it. Not to mention were not even at tech week yet for On The Shore - I'm still Sarah! So shes got my focus right now.

Speaking of On The Shore, we're moving along swimmingly! Everyone is offbook - we had the most painful rehearsal on Saturday. We read through the script 3 times. Just read it. With the scripts in our hands, even though were off book. We need to have the words down perfectly, so it was painful. But other then that everything is AWESOME. The floor is painted like an earth. Were setting around little nick nacks like books and bottles to decorate the mismatched stage. I can hardly describe it, and I would post a picture but apparently the set is under a copyright so I cant! So, we've got a few weeks left but we could probably go on tomorrow if we needed to. We have this stuff mostly down :)

We actually started this new idea of overlapping scenes. So for the last like 10-20 seconds of a scene, the other scene starts. So two sets of lines are going on at once. Two scenes, one stage. Even if the same character is in both scenes. Its insane, but AWESOME. It makes the play move along so quickly with so much fluency to it. Really awesome move.

I have my costume fitting on Thursday - can't wait to see it! God theres so much I could go on about but thats enough for now. WHAAAAAA

BTW - I did not get cast in Midsummers, but It was all okay! I'm so happy with what I was given!

My life is awesome. I'm Wendla. I'm Wendla.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations from NY. I'm jealous of your chance to work with RSC, but looking forward to their residency here. Spring's Awakening, the actual play, has kinda been overshadowed by the musical. But it's amazing! I wish you all the best with both these shows you're working on. But congrats on the big W!

    ReplyDelete