Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Theatre and Art and Technology OH MY.

I've gotta say, Its been pretty weird not having a show to indulge in every night. For the time being, its nice to have my nights back but I know its going to get old fast. I'm grateful at least for Corbin's directing project whichhhhhh I will take the time to explain now.

Corbin is directing a scene called 'The Class' in which I play a student, Ellen, who successfully convinces her professor that he sucked in the last show he did, Hamlet, because he knows the lines and all the logic behind it but he cannot connect the emotion of the character on stage. In order for her to take his acting class next semester she proposes a whole new way for him to teach. She will act out a scene, he will explain it, then he will act it out, and she will tell him what he 'teaches' but doesn't 'do'.

Well that's a little confusing, but its a cute 10 minute scene. I actually quite admire his directing technique as well. He's sort of directing it as if it were a film, so very levelheaded emotions and no big movements - or movements at all really. As a matter of fact, he sat a foot or so away from us the last time we did the scene, stared at us in the face, and called out 'BULLSHIT' every time we were too big. It helped me a lot, I was totally focused. I have never acted for 'film' before so it was good.

Speaking of 'film' I was perusing the notices that the theatre department puts out every once in a while and a film student was looking for an actress to help her film a 5 minute segment. I emailed her saying I was interested, and we're meeting today to go over it. Basically - I have the time, I don't have the experience, so its a win win. I'm helping her, I'm helping me - and Its something I enjoy!

I also put out a notice myself on the art department 'blog' asking for a head shot photographer. I've never had head shots taken before, and rather then spending a ton of money when I'm basically just starting out I decided it would be good to have another win win situation by getting a student to take them. Helps their portfolio, and I get them for dirt cheap or free.

While I was looking over the art website, I came across this Godly revelation. A major I never knew existed.

Art and Technology.

I'm currently majoring in computer science, because I thought they didn't have an animation major here. Well look at that, I didn't do my research. Now I get to skip all those really lame and boring Math and Physics classes and skip right to the heart of what I want to be learning, 3D animation and design!

Of course, Theatre is always my top priority - but I'm so glad I don't have to have a sucky Computer Science major along with it that no one thinks makes sense and I have to explain. A huge weight is lifted off my shoulder.

So, my schedule for next semester is so ARTSY.

Intro to Art
Beginners Drawing
Theatre 280 - next class after 100... which i still haven't taken yet.
Theatre 688 - New Works Lab (creating and performing original works)
Theatre 405.10 - Alexander Technique.

I finally feel like I'm doing what i WANT to be doing! And although I am hesitant because both Art and Theatre are very much competitive and lofty majors - I'm more of the person to do what i want then do something I don't want for the money.

And my new friend Lauren who is in Aida this semester is taking 280 with me! I have an awesome semester lined up! Even if Drawing is at 8:30AM on three days and Alexander technique is at 9:30AM on the other days.... at least its not math or physics!

So much exciting stuff coming up for me. Next semester is going to really be a learning experience! The first run of Corbin's scene goes up Friday and the filming for this girl's project is over the weekend! I'll letcha know how it goes :)

BTW - i got my third ear lobe piercing last week. I'm at 5 in the left ear and 3 in the right ear. I had to convince the piercing guy that I couldn't pierce anything else because I was an actress. Actually I think I was convincing myself that i couldn't pierce anything else!

"
I will not be the girl stuck at home in the 'burbs, with the baby, the dog, and the garden of herbs. I will not be the girl in the sensible shoes pushing burgers and beer nuts and missing the clues. I will not be the girl who gets asked how it feels to be trotting along at the genius's heels. I will not be the girl who requires a man to get by."

1 comment:

  1. You know, after every show closes of film wraps there is that feeling of..ahh..I have "me time" again. But it's usually fleeting and after a while I'm thinking, damnit. Enough me time already! I know how you feel about the inbetween time, but you sound like me filling it up with other projects.

    Good luck with the student film. That's an excellent opportunity. My training was all classical, no film at all. Which put me a tad behind when I graduated, so it'll be a great experience for you to do while still in school.

    ReplyDelete